How I saved the Life of A Little Bird Caught-To-Death Inside Human Luxuries

Birds. Those lovely creatures with colorful feathers. The ones that can fly. We all love them, don’t we? May be we do. But sometimes our actions don’t speak for our words. May be we love the pleasure they bring to our hearts with their sounds and flights but we care very less for their life. Let’s face it. Why am I suddenly speaking about them? Well, something happened few days ago that involves a native Indian Bird, Myna, few of us humans and those glass walls which have become symbols of our metro culture.

In India, people believe spotting a lonely Myna amounts to bad luck but they’ve reasons to believe too.. Image:ceochick

Of late due to some work or other, I have not been visiting Central Cafeteria building at my workplace which is a huge two-storied round construction with minimum concrete and maximum glass walls. Probably the lead architect thought it will invite in natural light reducing cost of artificial lighting. Whatever his/her reasons, the birds are the new casualty in that plan.
We may laugh it out or just be too embarrassed to admit, but we have all ran to crash on glass wall or door that we just didn’t see. At the most, we get minor bruise or in most cases none at all. But for birds, this act could be deadly. Some of us might have heard the thump when a sparrow crashes and falls down, and think it to be an isolated incident but it isn’t.
These collisions kill more birds than oil spills or pesticides do, says Daniel Klem Jr., an ornithologist at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, Pennsylvania. The spring and fall migration periods are particularly deadly, with large flocks of birds navigating cities and suburbs that are littered with windows — National Geographic.
It isn’t just the skyscrapers that are the devil here but more and more cases occur with normal stores and houses too. All this numbers add up. Glasses that are ‘fancy’ and provide see-through viewing to humans becomes deadly noose for this little creatures.
It’s a huge problem for birds. Up to a billion birds die in collisions with glass each year in the United States. Although most people have seen or heard a bird hit a window, they often believe it is an unusual event. Add up all those deaths and the number is staggering — American Bird Conservancy.
Coming back to what happened that day — After finishing with an internal assessment test which went unexceptionally well, all in good mood and humming some happy song, I thought today I can spare myself for visiting Central Cafeteria. Moreover I had insane time at my command. It was only 12:30 in the noon. People usually start around 2PM for their lunch and this place becomes like Sunday bazaar, with hell lot of noises, long queues, and dubious scarcity of seats to sit. Anyways, I went straight to 1st floor. There were around four-five people. The lunch was not yet ready. The service guys were only preparing menu boards. Someone suggested 2nd floor which I overheard and started climbing the stairs. This is where it all began.
On second floor, there were already few people sitting near the glass wall facing a grand vista of huge trees full of lush green thanks to bountiful monsoon. There was also a little bird out somewhere which I didn’t notice at first. I was too taken aback by the scene before my eyes. Took my phone out and clicked a shot; little did I know then that the little birdie had made it into my click.

Look Closely at Right Corner of Glass ‘marvel’ and you’ll see the Myna I’m talking about…   
Sometimes the click just don’t capture what your eyes really experience. So I’m always tempted to click another. I did the same after a while.


The guys had stood up to leave. And the little birdie had just hopped some steps closer to wherever it wished itself to. This time I noticed it but cared less. It was Myna, a bird found almost everywhere in India. Yes, the ‘developed’ cities have destroyed their habitats but somehow few of them have still survived. Most people also believe that seeing a single Myna results in bad luck! I believe it not but whenever I spot a single Myna, I look out for another. There’s reason why I do so. No, it has nothing to do with the superstitious belief of bad luck! It has more to do with gregarious characteristic of Mynas than any bad luck. Mynas almost always are spotted in pairs. So if you see any single bird, there’s always chance the other is somewhere nearby. I tried to spot the other one. Ceiling, left-right, down, grills, windows, no sign of other one. By now our birdie had made her way onto the bag of one of the guys. By now we all started to take note of her (was it she or he??). One hop down, one hop up. The bird was playing. Was it? It wanted to say something? How would we know? The guy whose bag she was sitting got worried by now — worried in case she shits on it!
“Is it still here? It’s fourth day. She has been trying to get out but failing miserably. It tried to run strong, hit the glass and fell down. Two days in continuum….”
Dressed in all white, the service-boy gave us details of how the bird has been stuck here since four days. This is when our curiosity chipped in. I went near to observe. The bird was weak. Weak with both hunger and constant jumps trying to escape this ‘maze’ of glass. Imagine if she knew about glass like we do then perhaps she would have helped herself in finding other pathways to outside and in all luck would be flying freely outside now. But, she didn’t. She was trapped inside the fancies of human mind.
Mynas are identified by strong feet and, strong and direct flight. The boon of ‘strong’ flight has become her bane now. The ‘stronger’ she flew, the ‘stronger’ she was hitting glass and more severely getting injured. She was no more attempting those deadly flights the service boy spoke of. My first thought was, may be she discovered the secret about this see-through glass walls. But then I saw her pushing and tapping the glass wall with her small beak. She has not given up. She did not discover. She was still fighting for her survival. She was still hopeful of passing through that glass. But how could she? They were strong. Even we can’t break those glasses so easily.
The bird took flight after some time when those guys approached her. I thought they will catch her. But no. They weren’t. She was still able to fly. And she did. Although very small in distance. She wanted to get out but had no idea we want
ed her to help as well.


Now there was very little that we could do. It had gone out of our reach. I so wished that I had superpowers at that very moment. I would have flew and saved her — in swish like they do on TV. But alas, god wasn’t kind enough! By now another man from kitchen arrived and repeated the story of what has been happening for four days. I was little annoyed and agitated by now. Forget helping, none had cared to keep some water or food to help the little birdie survive to fight her own battle, forget helping her get out.
We were all spectators. Her struggle to get out, failures to do so were all part of our ‘show’. And we enjoyed it. For full four days.
I tried to reason out with the man why they had not kept water or food, he giggled and saw his way down. I asked the boy if they have net in their kitchen to try catching the bird. No, he said. What now?

The bird had moved few steps after our constant shooing. But still not at our range. We all moved back. It went ahead and again came onto the pathway where it was initially when we had spotted her. This was our chance. I asked the guys present if they can catch her. None replied. There were stares and whispers but no answer right away. There was no time to argue or have a conversation now. The bags were still in place. The bird moved closer to bags and I moved behind, a step at a time with my hand in a position to grab her. Once when I came closer to her, I tried to catch her but good god, it flew up before I could hold. Back home, I had experience catching chickens in the evening and I thought same tricks will help me here. But they weren’t. The bird was small in size and hostile. Next, I stopped a while. Asked them to cover from other side lest it fly again to those windows where we can’t reach and we moved close. Slowly.
Aahhh!
In the next moment, she was in my hands. But not very helping of my gesture. She bit my finger but had not enough energy to make it count. I was about to walk down and out to leave her but then the all white-dressed service guy arrived. He asked me to wait so that he can remove hairs from her one leg. I didn’t understood him at first but then saw the legs of little bird in my hands. One leg was fine while the other had its fingers entangled in human hair. It was scary scene, knots which if got tight little more would pierce the skin and blood would ooze out. He slowly pulled them one by one and freed the bird of its agony. In those moments I wanted to tell someone to click a picture of me with the little bird but somehow I couldn’t for the bird was impatient and there was no time to indulge in my pleasures at her expense. I walked down with few eyes staring at me. It was still busy pecking my finger. Later I had to run a while to garden area and leave her to freedom.


 I was happy for being able to help. I don’t know if she was happy too. I wished I had helped her by leaving near a water body but thanks for the rainy season there was stagnant water here and there. Guess she would have helped herself. I did saw her peck at ground, maybe she had found her food, a worm after four days of captivity. Like I said before, I’m never satisfied with one click and I did click another. Here it is.

 


That was one of the best day I had in long time. Some may think I helped her but I would rather think I helped myself. I know how would I have felt had I not helped her find her freedom. While going home I did had a feeling like the bird would in some way fly on to my shoulder like they show in movies but to my bad luck this one did not. Yet. I’m hopeful someday it will!
Good Bye little sweetheart. May you fly high and may never your freedom be at risk for the little fancies of human soul.



Talking of solutions to reduce glass collisions, we can start with glasses like Ornilux which are designed by a German company. They are designed in such a way that humans can see though the glass like we normally do thereby not defeating the purpose of having glass walls. On the other hand, letting birds see patterns which are created in UV range which they are capable of observing while we are not. Win-Win for both. There are some issues with Ornilux where few birds still find it not noticeable enough due to different UV range. There are other solutions of leaving some spaces between glasses and few others that stress on not having glass walls near water bodies. Klem, a U.S. based researcher says,
“I think we have the knowledge to produce windows that will work, We just haven’t been able to commit to it.”
Thanks for reading so far. Do Share if you liked what you just read. It means a lot to me and helps other people to discover it :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

क्या हम वाक़ई चाहते है कि कोरोना ख़त्म हो?

Why We Should Be Worried Of Google And Facebook’s Plans To Label Fake News For Us

Shahrukh kisses Katrina at the Screen Awards