Legends on The Legend Himself! Sachin Tendulkar and magic...
Sachin Tendulkar is undoubtedly India's most famous cricketer and arguably the greatest cricket player of the current generation. He made his debut at the age of 16 (in 1989) and continues to play for India in most forms of the international game. Cricket is a religion in India, and Sachin is the god. While critics believe his best years are past him (which is only natural in a 21-year career), he continues to own almost every batting record in the sport. He also possesses an impeccable track record for his behavior off the field, which is refreshing in this era of professional sport.
Here are some quotes to fully illustrate the Sachin Tendulkar phenomenon:
"On a train from Shimla to Delhi, there was a halt in one of the stations. The train stopped by for few minutes as usual. Sachin was nearing century, batting on 98. The passengers, railway officials, everyone on the train waited for Sachin to complete the century. This Genius can stop time in India!!" - Peter Roebuck on Sachin Tendulkar
Here's what Time magazine said about our Sachin
"When Sachin Tendulkar travelled to Pakistan to face one of the finest bowling attacks ever assembled in cricket, Michael Schumacher was yet to race a F1 car, Lance Armstrong had never been to the Tour de France, Diego Maradona was still the captain of a world champion Argentina team, Pete Sampras had never won a Grand Slam.
When Tendulkar embarked on a glorious career taming Imran and company, Roger Federer was a name unheard of; Lionel Messi was in his nappies, Usain Bolt was an unknown kid in the Jamaican backwaters. The Berlin Wall was still intact, USSR was one big, big country, Dr Manmohan Singh was yet to "open" the Nehruvian economy.
It seems while Time was having his toll on every individual on the face of this planet, he excused one man. Time stands frozen in front of Sachin Tendulkar. We have had champions, we have had legends, but we have never had another Sachin Tendulkar and we never will. "
Beneath the helmet, under that curly hair, inside the cranium, there is something we don't know, something beyond scientific measure. Something that allows him to soar, to roam a territory of sport that, forget us, even those who are gifted enough to play alongside him cannot even fathom. When he goes out to bat, people switch on their TV sets and switch off their lives.
- "Nothing bad can happen to us if we're on a plane in India with Sachin Tendulkar." - Hashim Amla, rival South African batsman
- "Sometimes you get so engrossed in watching batsmen like Sachin Tendulkar you lose focus on your job." - Yasir Hameed, Pakistani cricketer quoted by a local newspaper
- "There are two kinds of batsmen in the world. Sachin Tendulkar and all the others." - Andy Flower, Zimbabwean cricketer and coach of the English cricket team
- "To Sachin, the man we all want to be." - Australian cricketer Andrew Symonds while signing an autograph
- "I will see God when I die, but until then I will see Sachin." - A banner held up in the stands at Sharjah, UAE
- "On a train from Shimla to Delhi, there was a halt at one of the stations. The train stopped by for a few minutes as usual. Sachin was nearing his century, batting on 98. The passengers, railway officials, everyone on the train waited for Sachin to complete the century. He can stop time in India." - Australian journalist Peter Roebuck
- "Sachin cannot cheat. He is to cricket what Mahatama Gandhi is to politics." - Union Minister NKP Salve when Sachin was accused of ball tampering
- "I have seen God - he bats at no. 4 for India." - Australian cricketer Matthew Hayden
- "Commit all your sins when Sachin is batting. They will go unnoticed because even God is watching." - A boundary hoarding in England
Barack Obama - "I don't know about cricket but still I watch cricket to see Sachin play.. Not b'coz I love his play; its b'coz I want to know the reason why my country's production goes down by 5 percent when he's in batting..".